I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Monday, October 09, 2006

Tundra Swans

Tundra swans are a common sight here mainly in the spring and fall. In the spring they signal the onset of warmer weather but in the fall they warn of the on coming cold weather. I've been quietly watching them fly low over the water the past few days so know that winter weather is quickly approaching. I managed to take this picture of a tundra swan family this past spring.

Tundra Swan

Tundra swan are quite often difficult to photograph. The males can be very aggressive so a zoom lens is a real benefit. We are so lucky that I get quite a few photo opportunities and for the most part the swan have been rather congenial about getting their pictures taken. What is interesting about tundra swan is like ducks they mate for life. I guess they take those vows seriously!

As previously mentioned, in the fall the tundra swan signal the onset of cold weather. Our average first frost date is October 9 but we had a mild frost a day earlier. Everything is pointing towards the oncoming winter months and I hate November! It is too grey to the point it chills the mind and soul. Normally we go away for a week or so during November but with the grandbaby expected anytime before November 30, we will be staying close to the phone. In the meantime I will watch the tundra swans skim the water as they make their way home for the winter while I winterize the house.


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.