I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, October 27, 2007

RIP Dr. Kornberg

sunset through the trees
Enchantment
October 25, 2007

Dr. Arthur Kornberg died yesterday of respiratory failure at the age of 89. He was an active professor emeritus at Standford's School of Medicine. This genetic pioneer won the Nobel prize in 1959 for the synthesis of DNA in the test tube. He compared the nitrogenous base compositions of the DNA template with those recovered from the DNA product thus demonstrating that the templates were replicated faithfully. He also used the nearest-neighbour frequency test to assay the fidelity of the copying confirming that DNA polymerase I seed to be the likely candidate for DNA synthesis during replication within the cell. Out of necessity Kornberg's experiments were performed in vitro.

I have had the distinct privilege and honour of listing and meeting some of the greats in the field of genetics. Dr. Kornberg was one of those that I had the opportunity to listen to, riveted in my seat hanging to his every word. I can still remember quite vividly the first time I separated a strand of DNA. It was a sheer thrill! Then it got better as I visualized the DNA as bands on a gel and realizing each band represented a nucleotide creating a sequence. I still get a thrill at seeing this. The pioneers of genetics left us this legacy. We are indeed very fortunate!

Rest in Peace, Dr. Kornberg and thank-you.


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Stopping by for BYB Sunday and to invite you to submit a post (Sunrise on Maple would be great) for
    Blog Village Fall Fest on Advertising for Success blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One's passing may sadden us but celebrating a life is a blessing.
    Happy BYB Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Thank you very much for linking me. Let me get some more cleanup done on my blog and I'll reciprocate the love.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.