I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Monday, July 14, 2008

morning visitors


Mamma & Babies
July 14, 2008

One of the best parts of getting up early is catching those photo opportunities others miss by sleeping later. For some reason my body has been craving sleep so I have been sleeping a bit later than normal. This morning my husband was leaving early for a couple of days so I got up to see him off. The beauty of the morning was amazing! The camera was in full action and I got a lot of shots. Needless to say I'm going to be setting the alarm so I can get up early tomorrow morning. It's really on a matter of getting myself back into routine.

We have a fair amount of wildlife that visit and I do tend to get quite attached. A female Mallard duck along with her mate frequented our yard for a couple of weeks. It looked for awhile like she would be making a nest under our globe cedars but they must have moved on likely for easier access for the signets. This morning she was back with five of the cutest little babies you have ever seen! I quickly snapped a few pictures then realized the drake was nowhere to be seen. Ducks mate for life and are very faithful partners. A female Mallard and signets with no drake for protection is not a good thing. I hope this family survives. The female will remain faithful and not breed again so this will be the last of her babies. I understand the laws of nature but still couldn't help but be a saddened.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


5 comments:

  1. I hope that family survives, too. Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a great picture and so peaceful; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely compliment, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely compliment, Mommy and Me. It nice being able to get to know the waterfowl families as they visit the docks. We feed them so they tend to visit daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes I too always catch the little critters when I rise and shine earlier ...cute shot

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.