I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Earth Hour


Today we celebrate Earth Hour, a movement started last year in Australia. It has grown from a one city movement to a global movement. I've had the banner on this blog for a few days now. The concept is simple and meant to bring an awareness to climate change. It's easy just turn off all your lights for one hour from 8 to 9 pm tonight.

We are participating in Earth Hour. Along with all electric lights any unnecessary appliances, tv, furnace and the computers will be powered off for one hour. Outside will not be dark as our solar lights will power on. I have oil lights and candles for indoor use but somehow that seems like cheating so I'm going to be doing a bit of stargazing. At the end of Earth Hour, I will add some reflections to my going green journal. I've already run the idea of having an earth hour each week since really going for one hour without electricity per week is quite doable. For us, Earth Hour will be a way of joining millions with one common cause but at the same time finding out more about ourselves.

Garden Gnome
©2007


2 comments:

  1. We participated in Earth Hour, too. It made me think of Earth Day, which is coming, and how an hour isn't much of a sacrifice.

    We played Scrabble by candlelight and enjoyed the ambiance and the slower pace as we worked hard to make sense of what we were doing. It really was a wonderful gift.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earth Day is coming soon isn't it. We try to make every day earth day by being conscious of how our activities affect the environment. But an event like Earth Hour and Earth Day just reinforces we can always do a bit more.

    Gosh we used to play Scrabble all the time! I'm going to have to haul the game out again. It sounds like a lovely way to have spent Earth Hour.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.