I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

frenzy


Sunset's Glow
March 14, 2008

I think I was on the green wagon long before being green was cool. Energy and the use of energy with the resulting costs of using energy has been an interest from as long as I can remember. It has always been an environmental thing with me. So I tinker with alternate power and am constantly looking at greener ways of doing things in our day to day living. If I can get the same desirable results using less energy I will. Union Gas announced the price for natural gas would be increasing April 1, 2008. That sent me into another sealing frenzy. Now anyone looking at our gas bill would scratch their head because since July 28, 2007 to the current billing our natural gas usage cost $576.67. The price increase in natural gas will add an average of $6 per month for an average family. Trust me our energy usage is well below average and I intend to keep it that way. Natural gas in our home includes: hot water, furnace, fireplace, dryer and grill. Given our location that is quite low since some will more than likely spent a good portion of that amount on heating alone for January. Our house is kept at a comfortable temperature during the winter months.

As soon as we moved in here one of the first things unpacked was my caulk gun and caulk. I scoped out possible locations for solar heating and hot water then installed solar outdoor lighting and turned my attention to sealing the house. Sealing air leaks is always the first line of defense. It is the most cost effective, easy to do, DIY project there is but it needs to be ongoing because houses settle and new air leaks can arise. Ok, so back to my frenzy. My trusty caulk gun awaits!

Garden Gnome
©2007


1 comment:

  1. This is encouraging and exciting. Sealing and storming the windows can make a huge different. I'd rather eat that money than throw it out the window!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.