I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, May 24, 2009

BYBS - Health Care

Blog Your Blessings Sunday
A couple of weeks ago I blogged about the rally to help save the smaller Ontario hospitals (here). The smaller communities and rural areas in Ontario have a doctor shortage that has forced some residents who cannot get a family doctor to rely on the closest emergency rooms. We live in a rural area but are amongst the lucky one who do have a regular family doctor. Last week we were very blessed to have the closest emergency room open! Closing this emergency room would have meant a considerably longer drive just to be able to get help. So I am very, very grateful that for the time being the closest emergency room is to be left open. Whether this reprieve continues remains to be seen. The reality is many people just like us are facing emergency room closures that will put lives at risk.

On the topic of health care, there is the myth that Canada has socialized health care. Access to health care is available to all Canadian citizens. Whether they are close enough or have the means to access that health care is another issue which is why keeping the emergency rooms of these small hospitals is so important. Now in many cases medications are required. That is not covered under the access to health care. There are provincial plans for low income, senior citizens, those on social assistance and those aboriginals living on reserves. If you have a provincial drug plan there is a deductible that you need to meet before they pay for the drug. The provincial drug plans only cover an approved list of drugs so if the drug required is not on the list you are out of luck if you do not have the money to pay for the prescription. Unfortunately so many Canadians who have recently lost their jobs will not be able to afford prescriptions and may not be able to wait for the approval time for provincial drug plans. That means they simply have to go without the necessary drugs. We do not have prescription coverage of any kind. I feel very blessed to be fortunate enough that we have had both the ability and foresight to budget for an emergency fund for prescription costs.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


1 comment:

  1. It has become a crisis in all countries. Thank God I have Veteran's Administration healthcare through my husband. They put me through the hoops because I am a dependent rather than veteran, but at least I can get fixed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.