I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Friday, June 15, 2007

Mute Swans


Mute Swans
(Cygnus olor)
June 14, 2007

One benefit to living on the water is the abundance of wildlife. We have been visited by deer, wild rabbits, opossums, raccoons, skunks, voles, mice, ermines, muskrats, snakes, toads, bats and waterfowl just in the four years we've lived here. Then there is the wide variety of fish that I sometimes am lucky enough to get a picture of them swimming in the water. According to our soon to be new neighbours, we will be visited by even more wildlife at our new house. The house is designated rural so we will have an actual mailbox at the end of the driveway! My husband wanted on the water and I wanted in the country so this is the best of both, rural and on the water. I guess he missed that tiny little detail involving livestock and farming. That's not a problem since living life on the water is most pleasant indeed!

It always amazes me the diversity of waterfowl in our area. Yesterday a family of Mute Swans decided to visit. These swans are magnificent as they glide majestically through the water! The babies are just too cute as most babies are. They are called mute because unlike two similar looking swans, Trumpeter and Tundra, these swans do not make any sound. In this area we see both the Mute and Trumpeter Swans on the water and in wetlands. The Tundra Swans are seldom seen in either place here during the summer months but they do fly overhead during their migration and often land in the area then. Trumpeter and Tundra Swans both have black beaks but the Tundra Swan also has a yellow patch under the eye. They can also be distinguished by their voices with the Trumpeter being a much deeper resonate sound compared to the softer, melodious sound of the Tundra Swan. Mute Swans are large birds about 40 inches in length, larger than either the Trumpeter or Tundra Swans. They can be distinguished from the Trumpeter and Tundra Swans by their reddish-orange beak with a black base. The lores and knob are above the beak. The female (pen) has a slightly smaller beak than the male (cob) but other than that the sexes are very similar. The young are called cygnets and remain grey until their second summer.

It always gives me great pleasure to be fortunate enough to photograph wildlife in its natural habitat. Learning more details about the various local population of wildlife species, their demes and their habitats gives me a greater appreciation for the stunning beauty in the area we so very privileged to live. It also strengthens my desire to be a steward of the land, treading lightly and leaving the land and waters better than how I found it.


2 comments:

  1. Stopped by for Blog Your Blessings Sunday!

    I have a Guest Author, so hope you will come visit and read his article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, I'll stop by for a visit at your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.