I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Monday, December 22, 2008

Mac vs PC





You have likely seen these humorous commercials involving the Mac verses PC debate. I think they are hilarious! As a bit of a background, I learned computing on Unix then had to learn Mac. Our second home computer was Windows 3.1 based and we worked our way up from there. There were a lot of things I liked about Windows but over the years there were a lot of thing I didn't like especially when I had to run several security software applications just to deal with security issues in Windows. A few years ago I made the switch to Mac and now have an iMac with Duo core that is partitioned for both Windows XP and Mac. The Windows partition is never allowed online and is essentially used for genealogy. I use Legacy Family Tree Deluxe which still is not available in Mac format and I have not found a program that I like better so need Windows. I use Mac for anything online and most daily computing activities. Ok, so back to the commercials.

I find these commercials humorous on a few levels. First PC which actually means personal computer is implied to mean Windows and for the most part that is what people mean. So by definition any home computer regardless of the operating system is a PC including a Mac. It's an exercise in semantics! Now if you look at the characters in the commercial there is the old, geeky, conservative Windows verses the new, preppy, progressive Mac and they make use of every stigma possible to get that across in the characters. The concept of complex and easily broke (Windows) plays nicely against simple and unbreakable (Mac). And just when I thought they couldn't get any funnier they come up with animated Christmas versions designed after the older children's Christmas classics. Too funny!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


1 comment:

  1. A fellow iMac user!! I'm the exact same, I only use my Windows partition for my Family Tree Maker program and in all honesty cannot remember the last time I used it. My husband, who's a computer techie by trade (Mainly mac) will on occasion use the Windows partition but usually just to make sure everything is up-to-date/maintenance.
    After switching to Mac, I won't even consider switching back to Windows.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.