I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Things

Taking a Ride
February 23, 2008

The past couple of days I've been dealing with things. I am by nature a bit of a clutterer even though I like the neat and tidy, clutter free look. This past week I've spent time and energy gathering up things that took time, energy and money to get in here in the first place. In fairness some of the things migrated with us during our last move but have not found a home here. Funny thing about homes, some things fit while others do not from one home to the next. So I'm going through the things that simply do not fit here. That means lots of things are making their way out the door. I briefly toyed with the idea of holding a yard sale in the spring but that would mean the things would sit in the garage giving the temptation to sneak them back into the house. So I've decided to do a clean sweep by donating whatever I can eliminating any temptation.

Why is it so hard to part with things? For me there is always the "this might come in handy sometime" and in some cases the memories attached. Even though the thing has long out lived its usefulness and even though it might be pretty tatty looking, I will still hang onto it for one or both of the two reasons mentioned. What I've started doing with some of these things is to take a couple of digital pictures then let go of the actual thing. Using Photoshop I then create a scrapbook page using the picture along with journalling as the memories attached to the thing. This way I can clear a bit of clutter while still hanging onto the memories.

Garden Gnome
©2007


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:31 PM

    Pass your memories on. Another person or family will make more memories with your items.

    For those items with sentimental value, decide who in your family should receive it and pass it on. Then they have to decide what to do it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.