I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Monday, April 14, 2008

bunnies


Mama Mallard
April 8, 2008

We are very blessed to live in an area with abundant wildlife quite often in our own backyard and sometimes indoors. Now I will tolerate some household invaders, I am not fond of certain invaders in the house especially those horrid centipedes! We have a pair of mallards frequenting the backyard. Both seem to be quite photogenic and friendly. I think she may be starting a nest under our bushes but I'm not sure yet. At any rate, I'm enjoying their company.

Mr. Buggs, our resident wild rabbit was seen frolicking with a Mrs. Buggs. As soon as I saw them my mind turned to rabbit control for the new vegetable gardens but watching them in the backyard while I sipped my coffee, it was easy to imagine they would leave the vegetables alone. I'm in the stock-up on staples mode so while I don't need to buy any groceries aside of a few fresh fruits and vegetables, I have be making one or two trips a week specifically for stocking purposes. Now this is something I very much enjoy during the month of April. I have this perfected to the point that by the end of April I'm set for all the basics to last until the following April. So this morning I left early to stop and visit my husband at the office then do a stock-up shopping. Our road is maybe 700 ft off the main road. Just after turning onto the main road I encountered the first carcass and not even 200 ft further there was the second one. I am almost certain these were our resident bunnies! This really bummed me out. We live in a reduced speed zone and everyone knows there is a lot of wild life in the area. People will stop to let a family of ducks cross the main road. They will swerve to avoid hitting squirrels. They stop to take pictures of the Canadian geese along the roadside. It would appear the same vehicle hit both rabbits :( Rabbits move fast enough but are large enough for anyone going the speed limit to avoid hitting. Sadly, driving under the influence is a problem along the main road despite a police crackdown. Chances are quite good a drunk driver hit the rabbits. Sad but very much true.

Garden Gnome
©2007


2 comments:

  1. This is very upsetting. I too am bothered by the recklessness that causes such destruction. We have many Canada geese near us, and these beautiful birds are sometimes chased or honked at by foolish drivers who forget that these are wild birds, not children. It angers me to watch people "reason" with animals in this most unreasonable of ways.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a shame. We have Canadian geese as well but they are not well received in some areas like golf courses and parks because they tend to make things a bit slippery, if you know what I mean. Those places tend to discourage the Canadian geese but for the most part folks just enjoy them. Most folks in our area are rather considerate of the wildlife but there are those that would try the patience of a saint!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.