I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day


Graffati
April 20, 2008

Something always fascinates me about wall art aka graffati. Well not all wall art is graffati but all graffati is wall art in some form. Most municipalities see it as vandalism. Building owners see it as a bane and expense. Yet graffati continues. Graffati is a form of pollution to some yet expression and communication to others. From day one we teach our kids to be independent, free thinkers, to express themselves then when they do through graffati, well that is just plain wrong from society's perspective. In some ways it reminds me of the old painted building advertisements yet we live in a different world. The only difference in the art was one was accepted and one is not. Graffati marks gang territory, costs building owners countless dollars and reminds us of the darker side of life but sometimes it just is what it is.

Today is Earth Day so I thought this would be a rather fitting post. As I rode the train I was on the look-out for graffati something I seldom see where we live unless you count kids using sidewalk chalk in their driveways. I found the graffati as you can see in the picture but what else I found that was more discerning was the horrendous amount of garbage. As the trail rocked it's way from destination to destination I could not help but be discusted at what I saw. Lining the tracks and fields where nothing more than died off last year's grows mixed with this season's new growth there were countless plastic bags, fast food cast-offs, papers, appliance and funiture parts. I even saw at least two discarded washers, one television and three couches. Come on folks! A vast majority of use go out of our way to reduce our impact on the earth yet some are not getting the message.

Here's a few questions
  1. Where the heck do you think the garbage is going when you toss it out your car window?
  2. Since you have no regard for the planet we live in, I trust you also toss garbage around inside your own home?
  3. Do you feel you are so important that others must clean up after you?
  4. Where you dropped on your head during birth?
Hello! Are you listening? Our earth, you know the one that we live on, third planet from the sun can no longer deal with your selfish attitude!

Garden Gnome
©2007


2 comments:

  1. I agree entirely. This kind of attitude is utterly infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anti-littering message along with fines have been in place for quite sometime yet littering like drunk driving continues to plague society :(

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.