I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Monday, June 16, 2008

reflecting on life changes


Mute Swan Cygnets
June 12, 2008

A family of Mute Swans (Cygnus olor) have been visiting us each evening. If you have been following this blog you will know these swans are one of my favourite photo opportunities. They are simply magnificent water fowl, gracefully gliding over the water or flying overhead. Mute swans mate for life. Like many males of other species the drake is quite protective and can be aggressive if it perceives harm towards its mate or cygnets. This couple is likely the same couple that visited last year as they know which docks to stop at for a free meal. They really are quite trusting as well even letting me get close to the babies and take pictures. This years clutch is two male cygnets (grey) and one female (white). They are just so adorable!

Yesterday I sat on the dock waiting for their visit. I really needed a bit of down time to reflect the coming changes in our lives. After a much awaited and very complicated process one of our kids made the final trip to Montreal for the interview last week then returned home to wait for the coveted visa to arrive. Knowing it would likely arrive this morning, I was very emotional last night. Letting go of one of your kids regardless of their age is always a hard thing to do. As the swans approached I noticed one of the male cygnets was missing. Momma swan wasn't carrying it either. It was a poignant moment intensifying how I felt. I sat for quite some time after they left listening to the comforting sounds of the water.

Garden Gnome
©2007


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.