I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Learning to Be Still


Garden Visitor
July 19, 2009

I am by any stretch of the imagination a chronic muli-tasker to the point it is close to being a flaw. While muli-tasking allows me to get a lot done most days on an off day the lack of focus is rather apparent. As a way of learning to be still aka muli-tasking I have decided that television during the day has to go!

When I was growing up we got 4 channels on a black and white television. My Mom never had a colour television until she was in the nursing home and by then she had no interest in watching television. As newlyweds we had an upside down television that was rather unique looking with an almost round black and white screen. Somehow over the years television has whittled its way into our lives to the point now the kids have grown leaving us empty nesters I will turn the television on as soon as I get up out of habit. Now the television is simply giving the illusion of someone else in the house because I seldom actually watch it. I'm doing two things wrong here. First I am wasting electricity and even though the cost to operate the main television works out to 2¢ per hour it is irresponsible of me to waste any kWh. Every kWh counts! Second I really am over stimulating myself by the constant bombardment of noise and images. Even though I'm not actively watching the television the sensory stimulation is still registering in my brain. This more than likely creates sensory overload sometimes. In this case learning to be still with a bit less sensory stimulation will be a positive change for me.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.