I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, September 13, 2008

early fall weather


Fireplace
Sep. 11,2008

This has been an abnormal year of funky weather if you ask me. Spring was cold and wet causing many farmers and gardeners to complain. Summer was cooler and stormy with many days of humidity rising in the morning followed by rather nasty thunderstorms in the late afternoon or early evening. We had our air conditioner on all of about five non-consecutive days the entire summer. After Labour Day weekend the temperatures seemed to plummet to the point that Thursday morning I put the gas fireplace on to take the chill of the lower (main) living level. Honestly! It is way too soon to have to be doing that.

Our floor to ceiling fireplace is massive taking up about half of the wall. More pictures can be seen here. It is a natural fireplace that has been crudely in my opinion converted to a gas fireplace. I would dearly love to revert it back to wood burning however my husband is not quite so agreeable on this. Hmm, it could be from heating solely with wood over a period of about 17 years and two houses. So what we will be doing is looking for a gas fireplace that fits the space better and something that isn't quite so fussy looking. What I really like about the gas fireplace is even if the electricity is out the fireplace still works. This is a huge plus during the winter! Our last two houses didn't have any back-up heat source if the power was out so I always worried about this.

We are hosting a larger event tonight with family down for dinner and activities going on into the wee hours of the morning. I have a turkey in the oven so the house is smelling good! I'm trying to get a few online activities done before it gets busy but the weather is not co-operating. It has been coming down in sheets! This is playing havoc with my internet connection so it's slow going. When the effects of Hurricane Ike hits it will be worse. Ah well, maybe I'll get some much needed knitting done.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.