I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Star Line Ferry


July 21, 2008

edited: Sep 12, 2008

The Star Line Ferry service is privately operated by the MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation) to transport people from the mainland to Mackinac Island. What makes these ferries distinctive is they are hydro-jets shooting an impressive 35 foot roostertail spray. It can be a bit pricey at $25 per adult (13 and older), $12 per child (5 - 12), and $7.50 for bike or cart rental but it is a pleasant way to spend the day. Mackinac Island prohibits the use of personal motorized vehicles. You can enjoy carriage rides, fishing, biking, hiking, shopping and special events on the island. There are over 40 places to stay and many places to dine. During the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August a sunset cruise under the Mackinac Bridge is offered as well. Reservations for the cruise can be made by calling their reservation line.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:11 PM

    Sorry, I got your blog on google news when I searched Mackinac. Just to let you know Star Line Ferry (as well as Shepler's and Arnold Line ferry services) is not operated by MDOT. All ferry services to Mackinac Island are privately owned and operated.

    From a Mackinac resident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you, I will make the correction on the entry. I got the information on the ferry from the MDOT website so made the assumption, obviously incorrectly, that the ferry was operated by them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.