I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Michigan State Ferry


July 21, 2008

The Michigan State Ferry service was established in St. Ignace in 1923 to transport vehicles from St. Ignace to the Lower Peninsula. Cost for the hour long trip was $2.50. In the first year of operation the ferry transported 10,351 vehicles! In 1956 with five ferries were running almost a million vehicles were transported with as many as 9,000 vehicles being transported on summer weekends. The wait times were as high as twelve hours. In 1957 the Mackinac Bridge replaced the ferry service.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


1 comment:

  1. What a difference a bridge can make! Imagine waiting 12 hours...of learning to wait. The thought makes me nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.