I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Thursday, April 08, 2010

I'm Sorry But I Don't Feel Obligated

It seems to me the people expect a lot more of others and when the expectations are not met they get a bit huffy. I'm sorry but I simply do not feel obligated to share anything I've paid for including services regardless whether someone doesn't like it or not. I don't feel I should have to drop and run to answer the door or the phone just because. Our house is for sale so the other day someone rang the doorbell and I was busy so didn't answer. My property, my choice and my right. The next thing I knew there was a couple walking around our back yard and when I asked them what they were doing they said just checking out the property. Then he said 'well I did ring the doorbell and got no answer' as if I was obligated to answer the door. Let's see the last time I looked a For Sale sign on your property is not an open invitation for someone to trespass. Can we say rude? You want to see the property go through our agent! The very same day I got a phone call from someone clearly upset that our answering machine does not take messages. Too bad! I hung up on them then blocked their number. The audacity of some people simply amazes me! How dare they think they have the right to intrude on my space then turn around and rudely tell me what to do in my space as if they think I have some obligation to them. Here's a clue, I own them nothing!

Here's a few things I don't feel obligated to do or even make any excuses for not doing:

  • answer the door - Sorry anyone on our property technically is trespassing unless invited. That include those trying to scam us into switching gas providers and trying to save our souls. I'm a bit more lenient towards kiddies doing fundraisers and trick-or-treating. We pay the property taxes and the mortgage so I will answer the door if and when I choose to do so. Please note that me not answering the door does not give you the right to wander throughout our property as you choose as should be duly noted by the skulls strategically placed around the yard as a warning against trespassing.
  • answer the phone - We pay a fairly hefty fee for phone service which means a 5 minute telemarker call is costing me money. I feel no obligation to deal with telemarkers. I do feel quite justified blocking telemarketers phone calls and sharing those phone numbers online so others can block them as well. In fact if you catch me at the wrong time I may even invite all my followers on Twitter to give you a call to let you know how they are today. Any phone call that begins 'And how are we today' is going to an automatic recommendation for repeating kindergarten. I also feel no obligation to turn my answering machine on or even return calls I don't want to although if I like the caller there's a better chance I will call back. Despite some beliefs the phone is not fair game for anyone to call anytime they want. I also don't fee obligated to give out our phone number. You should see some of the looks over that one. That can be a whole entertaining conversation in itself as someone tries to find out why you don't have a phone. The funny part is they ask for your phone number to which I reply I don't have one. Notice I said I don't have a phone number not that I didn't have a phone.
  • answer email - I pay for my internet access and while I do welcome electronic communication I feel no obligation to reply to unsolicitated email (aka spam), rude email, or any other rude or obnoxious online behaviour. I do reserve the right to report such actions to your ISP.
  • answer online questions - I participate in several online forums. My rule is just because you ask me a question especially one that is entirely none of your business does not mean I feel obligated to reply. No one needs to know what colour my skivies are or all the details of my birthing experience although I will gladly tell that, just not what the secret ingredient is in one of my signature dishes. If I told I would have to kill that person to keep the ingredient secret and that just seems like too much time and effort for me. If I don't answer the question within a day that means I actually have a life or have decided not to answe it. Either way, move on.
  • give an explanation or excuse as to why I don't feel obligated - It goes without saying.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.