I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Joys of Gardening


Heinz 1439
August 25, 2009

My garden is growing nicely now and despite the cooler, damp weather there are no signs of the dreaded tomato blight. The bad new is I'm battling tomato hornworms (more here). A couple of days ago I removed 2 of these horrid little critters then checked the vines closely for signs of more. When I didn't see any more I breathed a sigh of relief. The bad news is yesterday it rained the entire day so I didn't get out to check the garden. Imagine my horror to find 7 of the critters happily munching on my tomato vines! All were removed and destroyed. I will be checking the garden quite often from now until sunset then almost hourly tomorrow and several times throughout the weekend. I just keep thinking what a disaster we would have come home to had we been away for a couple of days!

On the brighter side of gardening, I picked several Heinz 1439 and Sweet Million tomatoes today. The beefsteaks are looking good but no ripe ones yet. I also picked Hungarian wax and sweet banana peppers along with a handful of peas. I'm picking lettuces daily and herbs as I need them. Some of the herbs need a bit more clipping so I'll start drying some. So all in all not too bad.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.