I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dishonesty


My husband and I make a good team. He is very trusting and I'm not so much so. He learns from me and I learn from him so it really does balance out. Back in October I made a purchase on eBay and by mid November part of the order showed up with excuses for the other. By December I realized this person was never going to send the balance (buckwheat honey) so I left a negative. Now that is with a heavy heart. You see we have been on eBay for a heck of a long time and we have dealt with a lot of people both as buyers and sellers. We take pride in our 100% feedback. Several emails to the seller went unanswered. Then I left a negative and suddenly the seller was interested in talking to me so reimbursed my money for that item then set up a deal where they would send the missing item. That was late December. Long story short is the item finally arrived mid February, almost 4 months after I paid for it. So being honest, I went back to PayPal to pay for it which I did. Then I went over to eBay to leave a comment that this transaction had been settled. Wow oh wow!

I asked my husband's opinion of what I was seeing, over 20 negatives for this seller in 1 month! What bothers me more is my husband saw the dishonesty before I did. Those negatives were not there when I bought the product. What was very noticeable was not one item was for more than $7. Basically with shipping that would be under $15 so most buyers would never complain and just chuck it up as a small amount of money lost. These folks even aligned themselves with a religious group. Talk about a good scam. See buyers won't complain unless the amount lost is over a certain amount yet the seller ends up with the money and the buyer ends up with nothing.

My husband and I compliment each other nicely. For most purposes the roles are fairly well defined and for those times such as just mentioned it is surprising how clearly we can see the other side of the coin. This clarity is something that when shared is a way of giving a different perspective. That is a blessing. Being the victim of dishonesty is also a blessing. It serves as a reminder that even in good there is bad. There are those who will use whatever angle they can to relieve you of your hard earned dollars. Being aware of this type of dishonesty means you are less likely to be a victim in future. That is a blessing!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 PM

    I had a similar experience. When the item arrived, it had been parked inadequately and was damaged. The owner said, "you did not pay extra for insurance, so tough ..." I left negative on eBay and went and filed a complaint with PayPal. I always use PayPal because its another avenue for conflict resolution.

    When everything was settled, PayPal refunded my money. Then the owner wanted me to change my feedback on eBay. Some people are not honest until they see a benefit to them.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eBay has really changed since we started. It is a lot more common to run across the dishonest, both buyers and sellers which is a real shame. You know even though I made the payment after it took such a long time to get the item, I never got so much as a thank-you from the seller :( I guess they don't want my business.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.