I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Day Light Savings Time


Ice on Water
March 7, 2009

Last Saturday night we turned back our clocks effectively initiating Day Light Savings Time (DST). So I'm happy surfing the net when I come across a blog that declares that DST does not save energy. Well I am going to dispel that myth right now! We aren't even a full week into DST and already I have saved oodles of energy. Here's some of the creative ways I've saved energy since DST began this year:
  • electricity - I rolled over and didn't see any light coming in our bedroom. Assuming it was pre-dawn I pulled the covers over my head and promptly went back to sleep awakening in the late pre-lunch hour. This meant none of our normal lights were turned on that morning so right there I saved electricity. But it got better! I fumbled for the toothpicks to keep my eyes open but switching on even one light was just too bright so I turned it off. My eyes wouldn't focus enough to find the tea pot so I grabbed a glass of water and went back to bed. The tv was off too deferring to the Kodak colour episodes of CSI playing in my dreams and let me tell you it was a heck of a great episode, one I don't recalling seeing previously.
  • heating - Spending all day in bed under a nice feather duvet means there's no need for the furnace to run. Good thing I turned it off the night before so the balmy just above freezing temps in the house could clean the air and kill off all those dust mites. Oh well a full day of sleep thanks to DST versus cleaning, I'm pretty sure you know which one won.
  • water - Seriously saved on this one! I didn't have to shower or anything other than pull those covers up higher. I didn't run the dishwasher or washer either but that kind of thing is highly over rated when DST kicks in.
  • calories - The average body needs 600 calories daily to maintain life. Thanks to DST I had ZERO! This is a real plus but when I consider the calories used rolling over, pulling up the blankets and stuffing toothpicks in my eyes while walking around in a sleep deprived stupor, heck I can eat a gazillion calories in prep for the end of DST so it will balance out.
  • cooking - Not cooking saved me a lot of energy. I was going to order out but couldn't find the phone in the dark and likely wouldn't have been able to use it. Besides CSI: Criminal Dreams was on.
Thank-you Ben Franklin for saving me all this energy. I honestly could not have done it without you! Well maybe I could but that would take a lot of energy something I'm working hard to save thanks to DST.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.