I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Moon


Moon
March 26, 2007 7:40 AM


Despite several attempts at trying to capture pictures of the moon I've had little success. This picture was taken at 16x zoom with a Canon PowerShot A540. It is a bit grainy but I think it is a pretty good picture. I have a telescope and watch the skies quite often. I really need a camera that works with the telescope to take descent pictures. Yesterday the sky was a vivid blue so the moon was still visible in the morning. This picture captured Mare Serenitatis one of the maria on the side of the moon that aways faces earth.

The moon fascinates me. It is the Queen of the Night being worshipped by ancient peoples and affecting our whole being. We only see one side of the moon as those with maria. Maria are lava plains covered with dark lava rock. The largest is maria is Ocean of Storms and the other is Sea of Tranquility. The far side of the moon has few maria because the crust is thicker.

Today's weather was equally warm, too warm for the time of year so it was no surprise when our second thunderstorm of the season rolled through. It hit with a furry with high winds and large rain drops that turned into driving hail. March's wrath was upon us for a good 20 minutes creating large pockets of water everywhere. While we've had a brief reprieve the skies are again threatening shortly.


2 comments:

  1. Love the blue of the sky behind that moon. This is a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy, thanks for visiting my blog and nice compliments. I'm glad you like the picture. I've been trying to get night shots of the moon so perhaps I'll get lucky one of these times.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.