I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, August 24, 2008

small miracles



I really should have blogged about this earlier but it makes for a very good bybs post. Youngest grandbaby who is 4 months and a real sweetheart visited us mid August. Everything was fine and she was smiling and interacting. Then all of a sudden she vomited from not only her mouth but nose. She stopped breathing! Mom of course was frantic. Breath, baby breath! I went into autotpilot and seriously I can't remember a lot because my mind was focused on grandbaby. The only thing I could think of was flip her over, head down and tap her back sharply until whatever it was blocking the air way passed. Get her to cry! Crying means the airways are clear so that a good sign. I knew I had to do this but I was still on autopilot, semi-detatched. At the same time I'm taking in the colour of her fingernails and her faciditiy. It was an automatic really not thinking thing, just doing. Silently I counted the seconds thinking I would have to do CPR on grandbaby. She started weakly crying but was still struggling. Mom picked her up to comfort. All of a sudden she spewed forth (not a nice term but that was what it was) a huge amount of vomit heavily laden with mucus. Her breathing was still laboured so her parents took her to the nearest ER to be on the safe side. I called ahead when the kids left so the hospital would know they were coming and I will tell you they were none to pleased that the kids were driving her in instead of an ambulance. The thing is we live in the boonies so driving into emerge is a lot faster than waiting for an ambulance. Well, she came back with a clean bill of health, no worse for the wear and tear She's still spitting up a lot of mucous but her lungs are clear. So that really has to count for a huge, and many thanks to the angels above that guide and protect us, blessing there! [And GGV, GGR, GGL, GGGD I know you had a hand in this one along with a few other angels.]

I'm sitting here writing this wondering what would have happened if I over reacted, or didn't know first aid or CPR. If the angels above weren't protecting this little one and guiding my hands. If they hadn't allowed me to detach and be able to respond. Blessings come in all kind of forms large and small. This one just happened to be a huge blessing! Each one should be cherished as it comes whether larger or small.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


2 comments:

  1. Definitely a huge blessing. So glad you knew what to do and the hospital was able to take care of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your help led to a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.