I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Watertown Plank Road

Historical Plaque
July 20, 2008

We were on the historical Watertown Plank Road! Plank roads were made from basically clearing a road 24 feet wide between the ditches. The road was sloaped in the centre towards the ditches to help with drainage. Stringers provided the support upon which wooden planks made from white pine were laid to form a road (more information here). There's little left of this historical road aside of the marking plaque although it does follow the same route.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


2 comments:

  1. A wooden road--that's amazing. This sign and your post remind me of what a little determination can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooden roads were actually quite common at least in the early days in our neck of the woods. Many of the towns had wooden roads as their main streets. Back then it was practical for keeping the town's main street cleaner and a sign the town was prospering. Wooden roads were also quite common in bog and wetter type areas simply to keep the route open. When I look back at what our ancestors had to deal with, determination was a huge part of it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.