I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, August 31, 2008

the kitchen is finished!


The biggest blessing this week is that our kitchen renovation is finally complete! The renovation actually began shortly after moving here late June of 2007 then life got in the way. The tile supplies sat in a convenient place perfect for stubbing toes each morning just inside the kitchen since March 3. May 26 saw the start of refinishing the cabinets. Tiling began on the 4th of August. Now I should point out that my husband and I are DIYers but that does not mean we work well together even though we have fairly well defined roles during remodeling and the end result is always worth it. The problem is I have the idea and will research how to do something but sometimes he doesn't listen. As this continues I find myself repeating the same thing several times leading to frustration and failing to listen to him so really we are not effectively communicating. Compounding this problem is my temper is always the first to flare. Allergies and sinus headaches tend to make me irritable. Both of these are affected by the dust and chemicals involved with renovating. Even though we try to use eco-friendly products some things simply cannot be avoided during renovations. The worst part is the chaos involved that really makes me feel disoriented! Anywho despite the delays, frustrations, bad advice, chaos and occasional temper flares the kitchen is finished (huge blessing) and I think it looks wonderful. I've been posting our progress here where pictures of the finish will also be posted. In the process we both discovered the ineffective communication was hindering our progress. After all these years and all the renovations we have done together this discovery was like a weight was lifted off of both our shoulders. Learning more about each other as we journey through life together is always a true blessing! We will be working on improving our listening skills in preparation for our next renovation project.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.