I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Monday, May 03, 2010

But Everyone Uses Facebook


Facebook is a social networking site that allows users to connect with friends and family.  There are a lot of privacy issues surround Facebook with each new update they do disclosing more information about their users that the users might not necessarily like.  A lot of countries with stronger privacy laws including Canada are constantly on the outlook for Facebook breaching the civic rights of their citizen.  A few years ago I signed up for Facebook but never used the account.  As the privacy issues came to light I went back to tweak my settings and continue to check from time to time.  Contrary to some beliefs that you should always use your real name online, I did not.  Now I'm glad I did not especially with the concerns the privacy watchdogs are expressing.  They have every reason for concern!  Some social networks along with Google especially with their introduction of Street Maps are slowly pecking away at our privacy.  That may be perfectly acceptable in the US but not so in other countries. 
 
Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


2 comments:

  1. I remember my high school times. When friendster is more popular than FB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Street view doesn't particularly bother me because anyone can walk by my house and see it, though I suppose I have some reservations. I've never used my own name online. It's quite funny, I started by using an initial and everyone kept querying it and saying I was "mysterious". Now I use Sheila - not my own name but nobody bothers about it any more.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.