I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Blog Your Blessings Sunday - An Abundance of Food

Blog Your Blessings Sunday

The newest issue of What's Cooking arrived a couple of days ago so I wanted to test a few of the recipes.  The problem is we live in a small urban community with three grocery stores ranging from the basics to a limited selection of gourmet foods.  We also have two specialty food stores and a butcher shop so for the most part I have a decent selection of ingredients.  We are about 40 minutes to two cities, close to fisheries/orchards/farm stands/mushroom farms/wineries and to the USA.  The mail service is good as is delivery services so can order online with perishables delivered next day service.   I have absolutely no reason to complain about the selection of food or ingredients available to me.   Yet there are times I get frustrated a the lack of an ingredient in town.  For example it is hit or miss whether any of the grocery stores have ground chicken, ground turkey or ground pork but I simply grind my own so it isn't a problem for me but it is a problem for those who don't grind their own.  Yesterday I wanted Sriracha sauce and Kraft Extra Virgin Olive OilTuscan Italian Dressing.  I finally found the Sriracha sauce but no luck on the Tuscan dressing. 

In all honesty though we are very blessed to live in a region of Canada where there is an abundant food supply year round.  The selection and quality of locally grown foods is quite amazing!  The conditions are ideal for growing your own as well.  Yet in this midst of this food cornucopia there are many who go hungry.  There is no doubt the cost of food is rising meaning many can no longer afford even the basics.  We are very, very blessed to be able to afford what food we want so we make it a point to support the local food banks and food drives.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.