I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Rain, rain go away,
Come again another day...

We have experienced torrential downpours with high winds causing driving rain since the wee hours of this morning.  Normally this wouldn't bother me much but it is a new house and this was the first really nasty storm.  I decided to take advantage of the high winds to do a bit of sealing, not that the house needs much.  There is an unattached pipe of some sort in my office closet so I decided to seal it up with aluminum foil tape only to discover that the driving rain was getting in.  So I sealed it good as a temporary measure, popped a couple of the copious cables coming through the walls into the holes and sealed with caulk.  The ominous, eerie whistling coming though the office window immediately stopped.  It appears the semi-opened pipe (we had stuffed a towel up it) was creating enough suction to draw air the window somehow or perhaps through the soffit and attic.  At any rate the noise is gone even though the winds have remained quite strong.  Then I noticed a distinct wind coming down the range hood.  We have to replace the range hood anyway so I did a quick and very temporary fix just to stop the wind from coming in. 

I've been listening to the sump pump being triggered every five to ten minutes.  It's not a loud sound just a different and in some ways a comforting sound.  Unlike some I do like these kind of days for air infiltration detection and troubleshooting.  It's the type of day great for catching up on laundry, doing a bit of baking, and doing a bit of housework.  I was supposed to go for wings with the group tonight but didn't feel like going out in the horrid weather.    I hate getting soaked through then having to stay damp for any period of time.  I did too much of that through my academic career so tend to avoid rainy days when possible.  All in all it was a wonderful day spent being a homebody, loving my new house and just enjoying the day.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.