I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sad iPod


Sad iPod
November 16, 2008

A few years ago our children gifted us with an iPod for our anniversary. My husband was elated and set about filling it with songs. Even though it will hold pictures and videos the primary function quickly became music. About a month later the iPod had a horrible submersion accident causing what we thought was instant death but after leaving it alone for 4 days to dry out, the iPod sprung to life! My husband set about making the car and boat iPod friendly. A Bose sound dock joined the iPod must haves. The set-up resides in our bedroom when not in use.

My husband took the sound dock and iPod to hunt camp. The guys could listen to music 24/7 the entire trip without ever hearing the same song twice! It worked perfect fine during hunt camp but Sunday night when my husband set up the sound dock to play while drifting off to sleep to be greeted with the sad iPod icon for no apparent reason :(

What I love about Apple products is their support both online or by phone. It appeared we might have to take the iPod to the Apple Store for repairs. Monday morning with the help of Apple Support we went through the various tips to get the iPod working again to no avail. Nothing we did worked at first and it was very frustrating but by Wednesday night we thought it was to the point we could try restoring the software. Thursday morning the much awaited for check mark appeared but that's it. I let the iPod charge all day thinking the battery might be going but it charged nicely. When my husband arrived home we set it up to sync. Amazingly we were able to restore all the music, all 8 days worth. Oh happy, musical day!

Oh and I did notice this time took 4 days to restore as well. Hmm, 4 must be a lucky number...

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:50 PM

    The sad icon usually means the iPod's hard drive is damaged, and unless it came out of the box that way, Apple may not replace it. They actually told me that iPods weren't intended to be "used a lot". Hmm. Define "a lot". =) Hopefully, they've changed their policies on iPods so they'll replace them if you have Extended Care. They didn't replace mine, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know about the hard drive. So far so good as the iPod is fully revived and working nicely at the moment. The first time the sad icon appeared was a day after the iPod dried out after its swimming lesson. After drying out there were no further problems in almost 3 years until this last sad icon but again we don't know why it appeared. As far as not being designed to be used a lot this iPod gets almost daily usage and sometimes for several hours at a time. Our new iPod Touch is also seeing a lot of usage but not so much for music. I thought they were built for daily use even extensive daily use. Mac are usually pretty dependable so I thought the same would hold for their handhelds.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.