I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Blog Your Blessings Sunday - Exploration

Blog Your Blessings Sunday

This past week has been one of exploration.  Canning plays a huge role in our lives so anytime I change anything with respect to canning it becomes quite stressful because one of our values is not wasting food.  Changing a simple technique in canning can lead to food spoilage through seal failures.  So changing from the tried and true canning methods is very, very stressful for me.  We this past week I started trial runs testing out Tattle reusable canning lids.  The nice thing about these lids is they are reusable so eco-friendly and unlike the regular canning lids are BPA free.  Both of these factors are very important to me.  The Tattler lids are made using FDA and USDA approved materials but the lids themselves are technically not approved for canning by the USDA.  The bottom line is I really don't agree with the USDA for some things when it comes to canning especially when a ruling is a quality issue not a safety issue.  My opinion is the Tattler lids are every bit as safe as the 2-piece snap lids so my only concern is getting the seal that means the food is safe. 

You should have seen me in the kitchen doing the first trial run using these lids.  My stomach was in knots!  I did 7 L and 24 - 500 ml jars of green beans.  Eleven of the jars used the new Tattler lids.  I had one failure but I'm sure that was due to not tightening the ring properly.  So the preliminary test using the Tattler lids was a great success meaning I can now introduce a new level of eco-friendliness into canning while eliminating a suspecting carcinogen since there is BPA in the coating on regular canning lids.  What a blessing it is to find a frugal eco-friendly substitute that is also healthier for you.  I am seriously thrilled with this bit of exploration!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.