I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Canadian Geese


Canadian Geese
(Branta canadensis)
January 16, 2010


A flock of Canadian geese (Branta canadensis) visited today enjoying a bit of down time on a sheet of floating ice. They are common visitors year round where we live. These beautiful waterfowl are usually seen in large flocks either flying overhead in their characteristic V-formation or gathering around sources of water. Canadian geese are large waterfowl that much like domestic geese can be quite aggressive. Did you know a domestic goose could be considerably more effective at protecting your home than a guard dog is? If they hit you with their wing there is enough strength to break an adult's arm! Canadian geese are the same way especially if they feel threatened which is perfectly understandable so don't get too close to a flock of them. Canadian geese present problems along some waterways and on golf courses due to their aggressive nature and droppings that can make walking where they have been a rather slippery adventure. They also present problems for the airlines with the most notable being the cause of a recent plane crash into the Hudson River in New York. Despite these problems these majestic birds capture my attention every time I see them!

The beauty of Canadian geese fascinates me. Their intelligence and behaviour intrigues me. They really have little fear of humans despite the fact they are considerably smaller than humans. I love watching them gracefully lift off from the water to start their flight then marvel at how quickly with seamless effort they form their V-formation with one arm of the V always shorter than the other. Hearing their honking overhead will have me grabbing the camera then running for just that perfect shot. So I was elated being able to get this great picture of them this morning.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.