I'm so glad you could stop by. This is my personal blog of daily life and my journey through life. You will find a strong emphasis on family and friends as well as finding my ancestors through genealogy. Unlike my other blogs this blog is more of a catch-all so any topic is fair game.

Search This Blog:

Friday, January 28, 2011

Caribbean Flamingos at Busch Gardens, Tampa, Florida

Caribbean Flamingos at Busch Gardens, Tampa, Florida
Caribbean Flamingos
December 16, 2010

Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida is home to about 300 Caribbean flamingos.  Flamingos are very impressive magestic birds with their characteristic pink colour and habit of standing on one leg.  Their pink colour comes from carotenoids, a pigment found in their food.  They stand on one leg in both cool and warm environments because of a process called thermoregulation, an adaptation strategy.  Curling one leg under the body keeps the foot warm and conserves body heat.  These birds are protected under the US Migratory Bird Act of 1918. 

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011


0 visitors said:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comment. It will appear when approved.